Curriculum > Courses >
The Division of Ocean Systems Engineering (OSE) at KAIST was established in 2008 within the School of Mechanical Engineering. Its pillar charters are to educate young talents and conduct research so that its graduates will play leading roles in the new burgeoning frontiers of ocean systems as well as in Korean shipbuilding and offshore industry.
The Division postulates six focus areas to provide students with reasonable selection guidelines for their course design. Taking into account the rationale that ocean systems engineering intrinsically pursues interdisciplinary research, each course is designed to help students make a consistent choice of their classes and prepare for their future thesis research. Each student is recommended to single out one of them and does not need to sign up for all the classes within the course. They may also combine two or three areas to come up with their own choice. All the fresh students are supposed to attend the career design class where they systematically plan their course for their graduate age and search for proper research topic. Even though their interest is out ot the six areas, the students are aided by the committee consisting of external advisors and the in the internal faculty members whose expertise is close to it.
- 1. Port and Coastal Engineering
- 2. Ocean Plant Engineering
- 3. Underwater Vehicle and Underwater Acoustics (Naval Systems Engineering)
- 4. Ocean Systems Modeling and Simulation
- 5. Shipping and Construction Management
- 6. Environment Ocean Engineering
The Division of Ocean Systems Engineering offers the following graduate degrees :
- 1. Master of Ocean Systems Engineering.
- 2. Doctor of Philosophy of Ocean Systems Engineering.
- 3. Integrated Doctor of Philosophy of Ocean Systems Engineering as Renaissance Program.
- In order to educate a leader with integral research ability that is based on the collaboration of diverse fields, it becomes essential to have systematic education that encourages integral thinking as well as design ability. So, this program will be one of the best chance for students.